Tuesday, November 16, 2010

9 Days of Thanksgiving

Today I'm thankful for my puppies.

I'm a dog person.  I have tried to be a cat person.  I had a cat a few years ago, and it reminded me that I love cats, as long as they are outside, and belong to someone else.

Actually I had a cat growing up.  I rescued her.  I was outside playing one day, and I couldn't have been more than 7 or 8 years old.  I kept seeing her stick her head out of a crack in a door in the barn.  So I raided my grandmother's house for powdered milk and cheese to try to bribe the kitty into being my friend.  It took several attempts and several days before I could get the kitty to come to me, and it was love at first sight for both of us.

She was the only animal that I ever remember having to warm up to my grandfather, instead of loving him on sight.  The best he could tell, was that kitty was a boy.  He couldn't get close enough to pick her up and look.  So for several years, the kitty was Morris.  Then when I was about 13, and the kitty finally warmed up to my grandfather, imagine our surprise when he was actually a SHE!!  So she became known as Morrissa.  She is the only cat that I have ever cared about, and no other cat will ever compare, or be as good.

So back to the puppies.  I have had more dogs in my short life than most people have in a lifetime.  Growing up on a farm was rough where dogs were concerned.  They ran away, they got ran over, or they went to live with the neighbor.

Yet, the two that I have now I absolutely adore.  They make me laugh, they are always happy to see me even if I just went into the laundry room, they give me someone to look forward to going home to when my husband is out of town, and they love me simply because I love them.  They are the best example of unconditional love, and probably a provide us a good example of how we should act towards other people.

I'm thankful that my husband loves dogs, otherwise that would be serious grounds for divorce.  I'm thankful that my babies let me dress them up in costumes, and that they don't bite me, even though I probably deserve it.

I'm thankful when they wiggle their cold little bodies under the covers and snuggle up next to me.  I'm thankful that when they are sick, or I'm feeling down that they just want to lay in my lap and let me love them. 


~The unthankful heart... discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings! ~Henry Ward Beecher


~I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner


~My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...