Friday, November 12, 2010

5 Question Friday


I'm so glad that this week is over. It has been a long few days and I'm ready for a couple of days of down time before I get to do it all over again next week. 

I have some exciting stuff planned for December, stay tuned for details!

And now, without further ado.

1. What is the most physically painful thing that has ever happened to you?


Hmmm.  This is actually a tough one.  I'm not really accident prone.  I have broken my arm once, when a little boy in 3rd grade pushed me down.  I have had a ton of dental work done, braces, surgeries, you name it.

I guess I would have to say the dental work.  When I was 11 or so I had two teeth that were in the roof of my mouth, nicely covered up by skin and bones.  The evil dentist thought I needed those teeth, so they "uncovered" them.  Oh my goodness!! The packing and stitches that they put in were a nightmare.  I remember sneezing and then bursting into tears because apparently there is a LOT of pressure in your mouth during a sneeze. 

So I say dental work has to hit pretty high on the pain factor scale.

2. How much sleep do you get at night?

Sleep? What's that?!?  I aim for at least 7, but my body likes 8-9.  If I go for a few days in high gear, and skimp on the sleep, I physically get sick.  I usually wake up one morning and start barfing.  I guess that's my body's way of getting my attention, since I ignore the physical exhaustion symptoms.  I make sure that I sleep in on the weekends and "catch up".

I say sleep in like it's some great and fabulous thing.  Instead of getting up at 7, I usually manage to wait until 8.  I know...let's get excited.  I want to be a dog in my next life, so I can lounge around and sleep 20 hours a day.



3. How long did you believe in Santa Claus? How did you find out that he does not exist?

WARNING: Be prepared for a rant.

This question SERIOUSLY pisses me off.  SERIOUSLY. 

Yes, Santa does exist.  Period. 

No, the one who sneaks in and fills your stockings and eats your cookies and milk, does not exist.

Santa Claus was an actual person.

Saint Nicholas of Myra is the primary inspiration for the Christian figure of Santa Claus. He was a 4th century Greek Christian bishop of Myra (now Demre) in Lycia. Nicholas was famous for his generous gifts to the poor, in particular presenting the three impoverished daughters of a pious Christian with dowries so that they would not have to become prostitutes. 
Obviously we have "marketed" Santa Claus into what he is today.  I don't believe that he comes down the chimney.

When I reached the age (not sure when) when I began to believe that Santa Claus, in fact did not exist, I remember my grandfather telling me that he did.  That in every good thing I did for someone who didn't have has much as I did, that I was doing Santa's work.  It was the first, and only time in my life, that I remember my grandfather ever mentioning God. 

There is so much around us that we can't see or touch, does that mean it doesn't exist?  We can't touch the wind or see the wind itself, but we can feel it blow our hair, and move the leaves on a tree.  Do we doubt it's existence too?  What about God?  We can't see him, or touch him, yet without a doubt in my heart he is real.

Perhaps the problem isn't that Santa doesn't exist, perhaps it's the fact that as we age, our faith becomes less childlike, that we have to rationalize everything and categorize into something for "kids" and something for adults.  Perhaps we should focus more on teaching our kids about the true meaning of Christmas, and remember Saint Nicholas' generous gifts to the pour and teach our children THAT version of Santa Claus.


4. What was the last movie you saw in a theater?

Life as We Know It.

It was a really good movie.  Funny, sad, sweet.  I wouldn't complain if I had to watch it again.  It's a good date movie, but definitely a chick flick.

5. What do you wear to bed?


Anything that you would find in a sleazy lingerie magazine.

Ok, not really.

Pajamas.  My husband is part Eskimo and likes it to be frigid in our house.  We have like 4 blankets on our bed all year long, just so I don't get frost bite.  And during the winter I make him throw another blanket on top when he gets up, otherwise I wake up freezing. 

During the summer, it's usually shorts and sleeveless shirts or tshirts and capris.  During the winter, it is pants and tshirts or on really cold nights long sleeves.  I don't like heavy pajamas, so that makes it hard.  Most of my stuff is cotton and fairly light weight and soft.  I'm big on texture.  I want soft, nothing scratchy.

I can't sleep in socks though.  I can go to bed with them on, but sometime in the middle of the night, I pull them off my feet using the toes on my other foot.  Once my feet start to get hot, the socks have to come off, or it wakes me up.  Weird I know.

3 comments:

  1. So not weird. I totally do the same thing with my socks. I'll start out with them on because my feet are cold when I go to bed, but then, in the middle of the night, I peel them off. Using the other foot.
    Or, maybe we're just both weird.
    Stopping by from 5QF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi how do u add the 5 question friday to my blog, i wanted to add it to my blog too? Im new to blogging so im still confused what to do. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fish! I was unsure of how to do it at first, I link up from Mama (fivecrookedhalos.blogspot.com) Next week, I'll add my own linky here, so you can hook up from here. : )

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...