Monday, November 15, 2010

Why I Blog

I started this blog over a year ago, for not reason other than because my father and step sister both had a weird blog, and I wanted to be "normal". 

It wasn't because of any desire to be a writer.  Although, I have always wanted to be able to write.  I'm sure that's clear as mud.  Let me explain.  I have never wanted to write books.  Sure, I love to read, but I like fast paced action.  Anytime that I have started to write fiction, I have found myself hearing the info in my head, but I'm already 12 pages down the road in my head before I got 12 pages ago down on paper.  I have no desire to write a book.  Yes, I think it would be absolutely cool to do, if it never happens, I won't lose any sleep over it.

So many bloggers out there write blogs because they want to write books, and currently this is their only outlet.  Some started a blog simply to keep friends and family updated on their lives and their children, and ended up with something else.  They ended up with people following them and reading their posts and becoming a part of their life. 

I follow and read quite a few blogs.  There is a wide variety of cooking, mommy, fitness, and weird blogs.  Most of these people have kids, so I live vicariously, until someone has a "not my child" moment, and then I'm thankful that I don't have children who can talk back.  Could some of those blogs write a book?  Absolutely, in fact a few of them have.  That doesn't make their blog more valuable or them a better writer than the rest of us.  It just means that they have something to offer the current market that the rest of us don't.

It you want to write, write.  If you want to paint, paint.  If you want to cook, then you better go to the grocery store, because milk isn't supposed to be a solid.

My point with all of this - do what makes you happy.  If that means you just blog, then you just blog.  If that means that you write a jillion books and sell them to the masses, then do that too.  Because trust me, when blogging quits being fun, and starts to become work, I'll find something else to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...