Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Birthday Resolutions

I figured that in anticipation of my birthday tomorrow that we would do a list of resolutions. Things that I would like to change in the next year. It's important to have goals. I attempted to come up with 32, since that's how old I will be. Do you know how hard that is? So don't judge.

32. More exercise.
31. Less food (especially the bad for you, but oh so tasty stuff)
30. More blog posts.
29. Less homework (I'm not quite sure how I'm going to reach this goal, but it's something I definitely want to strive for.)
28. Much, much more sleep.
27. To move from a Junior to a Senior.
26. To figure out how to take naps at work, for days when #29 and #28 don't quite work out the way I want them too.
25. More sex. Because let's face it, guys have a good point, sex makes everything better.
24. More chocolate. Just in case the guys were wrong about the whole sex thing.
23. More alcohol, because let's face it, after a couple of margaritas you won't remember what was wrong in the first place.
22. More car washes. Because no one like to drive a dirty white pickup.
21. More filing at work. I won't die, even though those minutes feel like they might do me in.
20. More time with my puppies. Because they are lonely at home without me and they make me laugh.
19. To decide to only do a top 10 list for next year.
18. Because this is ridiculous.
17. Especially when I should be doing calculus homework and studying for an Economics exam.
16. Study more, procrastinate less. (See #17)
15. Read. I miss books that involve dead bodies, sex, mayhem, and romance.
14. More Wii. Because it's fun to say to my husband, I want to Wii.
13. Buy less cookbooks. They are hidden in every room in our house. I'm outta rooms.
12. Remember that it could be worse...turning 32 is better than the alternative of never making it at all.
11. Worry less about what people think, so I can write this blog the way I want too, and not be embarrassed to share it with the friends that I want too (who are more like family anyway).

And because I was goofy with the those above, I'll be good with the ones below.

10. Spend more quality time with my husband. We got to have some real conversations over the weekend and reconnect. My stress level went way down. He is good for me and keeps me from worrying so much.

9. Remember that there is more to life that school. That Papa was right, not everything worth knowing can be found in a college degree.

8. To stop trying to live up to someone else's expectations. My own expectations are way higher than their's are anyway. It's not the end of the world if I get a C. Even though I'm disappointed, it's a learning experience, and I have to remember to learn from that C as well as from that A.

7. To spend more time with my family. Since school has became my reality, often family affairs are missed out on for homework. The homework won't always be there...and neither will they. It's important to have the peace that I chose them over homework and that I had those moments when they are gone that I wouldn't have otherwise.

6. For my husband to be at peace with the relationship he has with his parents. I know that this one is a pipe dream, but I want him to be able to look at me and look at them and not resent either of us for the choices that he has had to make regarding his family. I want him to be able to sleep at night and know that their opinion doesn't matter, that my opinion doesn't matter, that all that matters is his happiness, and that no matter what, he knows how much I love him, and that out of all the boys in the world, I chose him.

5. To remember to celebrate the little things. Sometimes it is a celebration if you manage to fix dinner on time. The moments that we lay in bed snuggling before we fall asleep, the moments that we lay in the floor and play with the puppies, the moments that hit us at the oddest times.

4. To be amazed each day about the things that you miss. Like cleaning out microwave, the sound of laughter, the empty spot at the hardware desk, the smell of Beech Nut, and chocolate covered cherries underneath the Christmas tree. You don't remember the bad, simply the good. And it's ok for the tears to come when you walk into the hardware store or see the display of Chocolate covered cherries, even though it's been 9 years since you bought them.

3. To remember that my health is a priority too. Sometimes I put me on the back burner to take care of other people and other things. I have to remember that I'm important too and I should be at the top of my to-do list each day.

2. To remember to "see God". Without the friends, family and God, this past year would have been infinitely harder than it has been. The beautiful sunset, the pink tulips in the neighbor's yard, the warm day, the rain, my friend's laughter, my family's laughter, the nieces, nephews, and cousins delight in their care packages. Those things keep me sane, and they remind me that I'm not alone in the big, bad world.

1. To remember that there will be road blocks. There will be people telling me I can't. There will be obstacles. I can overcome each and every one of them. If only I have the desire to do so.

1 comment:

  1. Numbers 24 and 6 are definitely my favorites...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...