Thursday, February 3, 2011

Deep Freeze 2011

Well, things have been...interesting around here this week.

Monday afternoon we had a cold front move in.  First, this is West Texas, our idea of cold front usually involves 15 degree lows.  Our low Wednesday night is estimated to hit -1.  Oh my goodness.  For a place that isn't used to temperatures and snow, the people around here were at Wal-Mart stocking up like the world was coming to an end. 

Tuesday we woke up to a couple of inches of snow and 30+ mph gusts of wind.  Our high was around 8 with windchill around -24.  They cancelled my 8am class, I skipped my 12:30 class, and went to my 4pm class, only because if I wasn't there I wouldn't pass the class.  It was cold.  Breathtaking has a whole new meaning.  I have never experienced something like that, and I know for a fact that I don't want to again.

Wednesday, they cancelled class until 10am.  We got 2-4 more inches of snow overnight, and our low was around 1.  We had the same windchill as Tuesday.  Except I didn't have my chauffeur today.  I had to tough it out and walk around campus.  Cold was an understatement.  I can't believe that they didn't salt the sidewalks and stuff.  I couldn't believe how unprepared they were for students walking around.  I can't even begin to tell you how slippery it was, and I lost count of the times that I slipped.

It's so cold that the extra refrigerator that we have in our garage is cold enough in the fridge that it froze a package of chicken.  My Diet Dr. Pepper earlier was slushy, which was awesome, but to discover at 5:55 that my chicken was frozen wasn't so awesome.  So we had takeout for dinner.

The good news is that I have gotten caught up on calculus homework.  I'm hoping that before the weekend, I am way more ahead than I am now. 

Bad news is - it's going to do this all over again Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday.  Except without the negative temps. 

When I rule the world lots of snow one day and then 70 degree weather the next day.  I'm too old for cold weather like this. 

Sorry this post is kinda chatty, I keep typing to keep my fingers from freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...